Department of Islamic Studies
Mohd Fahim Akhtar, HOD
EMail(s): hod[dot]islamicstudies[at]manuu[dot]edu[dot]inPhone Number(s): 091-40-23008364
The Department of Islamic Studies was established in 2013. The Department offers Ph. D, M.A and Diploma in Islamic Studies programs along with Islamic Studies as a core paper for undergraduate program. The department also offers Islamiyat paper for students of Non Madarsa background and Introduction to Major World Religions to Madarsa Background students of undergraduate program, as Non CGPA paper.
The main objective of the department is to impart teaching and conduct research in Islamic Studies in a modern perspective. These days Islam has taken a central stage in public discussions and debates relating particularly to its political ideas and social approaches. Apart from this, Islam has a vast history of its rich civilization and culture pertaining to India and the world as a whole. Its achievements have been very unique in various fields of human life. It has played a remarkable role in the progress and prosperity of humanity.
These aspects are subjects of the studies and research in today’s academic world. The department studies the vast areas of Islamic sciences, law, culture, civilization, mysticism and though with the aim to train scholars in the subject of Islamic Studies.
- a) NET/JRF:
From the establishment of the departments, there are 9 students who have cleared National Eligibility Test (NET) so far (2021). One student has qualified Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) also. Every year one or two students are qualifying NET/JRF with zeal.
- b) Gold Medallists:
A number of students got Gold Medals in MANUU. Following is the list of the Gold Medallists.
1) Mr. Syed Abdur Rsheed in the year 2014, 2) Mrs. Zeshan Sara in the year 2015 3) Mr. Saleh Ameen in the year 2016, 4) Mr. Abul Kalam in the year 2017, 5) Mr. Mohd Salahuddin in the year 2018.
- c) Placement:
The pass out students are getting placements and jobs with high level satisfactions. Some of them are followings:
1) Mr. Syed Abdur Rsheed of batch 2014 has been appointed as Assistant Professor Islamic Studies in Alia University, Kolkata. 2) Mrs. Zeshan Sara of batch 2015 has been appointed as Assistant Professor Islamic Studies in MANUU. 3) Mr. Saleh Ameen of batch 2016 has been appointed as Guest Faculty Islamic Studies in DDE, MANUU.
Apart from the above, a number of students have got selected in different Multi-National Companies.
- d) Prizes in Competitions:
The students of the department have won and got many prizes and appreciation in various competitions held in MANUU i.e. Azad Day Celebration, All University Essay Writing Competition etc. Following are the details of such students.
- Syed Abdur Rasheed:
- First Prize in Elocution Urdu, Azad Day celebration Nov. 2013, MANUU, 2) Second Prize in Elocution Urdu, Azad Day celebrations. Nov. 2016, MANUU, 3) First Prize in Essay Writing Competition Urdu, Azad Day celebrations, Nov. 2016, MANUU, 4) Obtained 1st Position in Elocution Competition on the occasion of National Voters’ Day Celebrations on 25th January 2018 in MANUU.
- Zeshan Sara:
1) Won 3rd prize in Elocution Competition, Azad Day Celebration, MANUU, Nov 2013,
2) Won 1st prize in Essay Writing Competition on Women’s Day Celebration, MANUU 2014, 3) Won 1st prize in Elocution Competition on Women’s Day Celebrations, MANUU, 2014, 4) Consolation prize in Essay Writing Competition on Women’s Day Celebrations, MANUU, 2015.
- Mohammad Amir:
1) Secured 3rd position in all University Essay Writing competition in Azad day Celebration 2017, 2) Won 2nd position in all University Elocution Competition in 2017, 3) Won 2nd position in all University Essay Writing Competition in Azad day Celebration 2018.
- Mohd Salahuddin:
- Won 1stPrize in all University Essay Writing Competition in Azad day Celebration 2018, 2) Secured 1st Prize in Bait Bazi Competition for Andaaz e Peshkash in Azad day celebration 2018.
- Naveed us Saher:
- Won 1stPrize in all University Essay Writing Competition in Azad day celebration 2017, 2) Won 1st Prize in all University Essay Writing Competition in Azad day celebration 2018, 3) Won 1st Prize in Essay Writing Competition by Student Union Jashn e Bahara’n 2019.
- MD Ozair Alam:
- Secured 1stPrize in Bait Bazi Competition for Kasrat-e-Ashaar in Jashn e Bahara’n 2019.
- Secured 1stPrize in Bait Bazi Competition for Meyari Ashaar in Azad day celebration 2021.
- Secured 2ndPrize in Bait Bazi Competition in Azad day celebration 2021.
The department actively conducts academic and cultural programs and activities for overall development of the students.
Following are some such details:
- Islami Mutala’at Forum
This Forum is very active, and conducts academic and cultural programs on regular basis. Form 2015 till 2022, it has organised more than hundred programs of extension lectures, debates, skill learning programs and different students activities.
The Forum designs in every semester its academic calendar for upcoming programs.
- Subject Association/ Scholar’s Association
These two associations are organising their programs in every semester on regular basis. Subject Association is run by department PG students, while Scholar Association is run by Ph. D scholars of the department. Subject Association conducts welcome and farewell programs, and organises 3 to 4 cultural and academic activities in every semester. Scholar’s Association conducts monthly academic program, in which the scholars present book review, write up, essays and research findings, all related to their research topics.
- Wall Magazine
A Wall Magazine by name: Islami Mutala’at (اسلامی مطالعات) is a very beautiful four pages wall Magazine, prepared, designed and published by students of the Department. In every semester, one wall magazine is issued. The 12th issue of the magazine is published in January to December 2021.
The department succeeded in conducting Seven National Seminars/Webinars on important topics and issues. The proceedings of the seminars are under publication, after editing by Faculty Members.
The details of the above activities are available under relevant headings of this profile.